Friday, June 19, 2009

Today

Pawpaw's funeral was today and it was very, very touching.
My Pawpaw, years ago, was the Fire Chief at his hometown fire department (you'll find out why I said this as you continue reading).
We got to the Funeral Home at about 9:45ish or so for just the family to be there to see Pawpaw and stayed there for an hour or so.
Pawpaw did not look like our Pawpaw at all. They tried so hard to make him look like himself but with all of the bruises and everything that he had, it was quite difficult. The casket was a pretty light blue and he was in a navy blue suit because he always bragged about his *blue eyes* (blue eyes that he passed on to me:)).
Daddy's family are Catholic so from there we went to Mass. It was interesting to me for I had never been to one before. That was hard, very hard. My brothers, dude cousins, Aunt's husband, and cousin's husband carried the casket.
We saw in the little bulletin that the Grandchildren were going to be gift bearers, well Mommy and I had no idea what that meant. Finally when it came time to do so, a lady had all of us grandchildren go to the back and handed us roses (I, still not knowing what to do, leaned over to my cousin and whispered, "What are we supposed to do?" she told me her Mom said that we were going to go up and put the roses on his casket) which we then walked up and put on his casket. I thought I was going to break down but I didn't really linger, just walked away.
It was so sweet, because some of the people that Daddy works with from Delta were there (we didn't know they were coming), some of them were wearing their Delta uniforms also. When Mass was over and we were still in the Church, Daddy was hugging and thanking all of the Delta people that came there and this one man from Delta whom I had never met before and didn't even know his name came up to me and wrapped his arms around me and hugged real tight, it was so sweet. A couple of the other Delta ladies did too, one I do know.
Now to why my telling you Pawpaw was a Fire Chief:
When we left the Church, 4 firetrucks led us to the cemetery. As we passed the fire house some of the men and women were standing out there honorably. Even when we were driving along one of the roads where there were construction people working they all took off their hard hats, so sweet. When we arrived at the cemetery there were 2 firetrucks with their ladders up to form an arch and in the middle of the ladders there hung an American flag. (My cousin's friend took a picture of that, so when my cousin e-mails it to me, I will put it up for you all to see). As we entered the cemetery there were more firemen and women standing there.
We drove down to the grave sight and there stood even more firemen and then some men from the Military. After the Reverend spoke, the men performed the 21 Gun Salute and then "Taps" was played. Everyone, of course, was crying and so touched. After the Honor Guard spoke, she and a Military man (I don't know what he was) folded up the American flag on his casket and handed it to Mawmaw. Now, to what probably got Mommy and me the most.
A couple minutes later, a voice came over a Fireman's walkie-talkie and said, "The is the last call for Thomas J. Young", I think she said something else too but I can't remember what it was. Well Mommy and I just started sobbing and clinging to each other (as we had been doing the whole time).
It was the most touching and the most beautiful (if you'll forgive the term as I am talking about a Funeral) Funeral I have ever seen.
Now, my Greatgrandparents and a Great Aunt (I think it's a Great Aunt) are buried at the same cemetery and when it was over, my brothers, cousin and her husband, uncle, and a second cousin and maybe his wife, I don't remember, went up and put some roses on their graves as well.
When we left there, Tommy drove Mommy, Chris, and me back home to change and he went over to his place to change. We then went to the clubhouse where Mawmaw's condo is and stayed there for a couple of hours. I had a good time there because my cousin Rachel and I talked for like the whole time (she's 24, I believe), it was really nice to be able to talk with her as we haven't always been like that. She was also the one to whom I had leaned over and asked what we were supposed to do as gift bearers. Actually when we walked up there, she linked her arm in mine and I thought that was really sweet. A friend of hers was there also, at the Funeral Home, Mass, and the cemetery and she's really sweet as well. When we were at the Funeral Home she hugged me real tight and I don't even really know her for I had just met her today and didn't really say anything to her, she was just really sweet.
When everyone was getting ready to leave the clubhouse , I FINALLY got to hold little Will:) I walked around with him and bounced him on my hip. It was so hot inside and he was all wriggly in my arms, but as I walked around with him he was pretty good anyway. He is SUCH a cutie! I wanted to bring him home but I couldn't sneak him past his parents;) I even danced with him and told Mommy he's a really good dancer because he doesn't step on my toes;) I said to him, "I'll lead, you follow", lol. He is so sweet and I love him so much!
Mawmaw seemed alright throughout the day, but then again I didn't really see her the whole time. My Aunt was breaking my heart! When I heard her cry, she just broke down and I totally fell apart, it was so sad. My Daddy was strong for them and for us, but I know my Daddy and I know he was hurting deeply even if he tried not to show it.
I am simply honored to be his granddaughter, he was a true hero and he will certainly be missed. He would have said it was "foolish" to have all of this go on for him but he was more than deserving of all of it! I love you Pawpaw!
The Lord blessed us with a perfect day for it was beautiful, kind of breezy and terribly hot and humid, just how Pawpaw loved it!
I miss my Pawpaw so much.
I don't know that I have much else to say now, so I shall leave you once again with a picture of my Pawpaw & Mawmaw.

Grace be with you all!
Alive because of His Blood,
Bekah
P.S. Sorry folks, one of these days soon I will answer the song question post.

No comments: